In July 2017, the Fair Work Commission determined that the Fast Food Industry Award (FFIA) would be varied to extend overtime loadings to casual employees, not only just for permanent employees. Prior to this, it was probable that casuals were not entitled to work overtime under the Fast Food Industry Award (FFIA).
Recently (on Friday 24 November 2017), the Commission decided that this entitlement for casuals is to start on 1 January 2018.
Specifically, a casual employee will now be paid overtime for work in excess of:
- 38 hours per week or an average of 38 hours per week averaged over a four week period; or
- eleven hours on any one day.
What do you need to do?
- Ensure your payroll system is updated to include the new overtime penalties for casual employees.
- Review your current rostering practices and educate your managers with rostering duties of the changes, to minimise surprises
- Log into our ER Strategies website and download the new 1 January 2018 wage schedules with the new casual overtime loadings.